Elon Jack "EJ" Potter
E.J. Potter was an innovator of wild drag racing and tractor pulling machines. Here are some of his career highlights:
- 1960 Built first Chevy V-8 drag bike - went 130 mph.
- 1961 Went 147 mph in 1/4 mile with V-8 bike.
- 1962 Went 152 mph - throttle stuck and crashed at Onondaga Drag way.
- 1963 Built 1957 Plymouth with V-12 Allison engine. Went 147 mph.
- 1964 Built 1964 Dodge Dart with V-12 - went 152 mph.
- 1966 Went to England with V-8 bike - best crash they ever saw on 13th run.
- 1967 Built electric car - went 120 mph in 1/4 mile.
- 1968 Set AHRA bike record at 167.04 in Phoenix.
- 1970 Made Guinness World Record book with an ET of 8.68 on a motorcycle in Australia.
- 1971 Built 1200 horsepower jet cycle - crashed when parachute failed - sold it to Evel Kneivel.
- 1973 Quit drag racing and went to tractor pulling.
- 1975 Won the 7000# Indy Super Pull class with V-12 tractor.
- 1976 Repeated at Indy Super Pull
- 1981 Won California “World Championship” pull with 24-cylinder tractor.
- 1982 Repeated as “World Champion” in California.
Elon Jack Potter was born on April 24, 1941, and died April 30, 2012 at the age of 71. (1941 - 2012)